My Third Row "Family"

My third row church family has been something that has grown over the years of attending North County Christ the King Church. My Honey always sat up front during his childhood so when we started going it was middle to back of the worship center - maybe as an act of rebellion from his past. It wasn't until our "Come to Jesus crisis" that we leaned on the support of my sister friend and husband that moved us to the third row. From then on, God has introduced many inspiring friendships and a sense of belonging for both myself and My Honey. I have been part of an amazing small group where adoption and life was the common thread among us all. God has stitched into my life friends who don't judge, who listen, pray, support, feed me, bless me, and give me the security of knowing I have people to run to when in need. I trust them with my thoughts, insecurities, needs, fears, and I pray they feel the same from me. The best gift of this masterpiece within these friendships is the laughter that is shared. I thank God for "moving" us from the middle to the third row - not quite the front row.
Over the years people have come and gone, shifting a few rows or even services. Kids enter our lives which misplace our seats for more quieter areas during service. But there has been one family that has been consistently in our "neighborhood" during church service. 
This family always greets with inviting smiles, strong handshakes, small talk, and claps on beat. It's sad that we may not all know each others names but outside of that, they are my third row family. They gave no judgement when our garbage went viral at church. It was a simple hand on the shoulder of acceptance that to them probably meant nothing, but to My Honey and I meant the world. And if I go historic, I can even say that their DIL was in my prayer group at high school I led. I even gave one a haircut just 6 weeks after the "come to Jesus" moment within our marriage. 
But that's not what I wanted to chat about. 
Yesterday at church, Pastor Kim invited everyone to raise their hands if they needed prayer for health, finance, or situations beyond their control. My third row family instantly raised their hands so I went and placed my hands on their shoulders. The sad thing is that when we as a body were to pray for those around us, I felt I was the only one speaking out loud so after I prayed for the little old lady, I went silent placing my hands on my family. It was met with streams of tears flowing down their faces...all of them. I left regretting not praying out loud for my family when they needed it most. I don't know or understand each tear shed, but I do understand prayer. And I did a dis-service to them by allowing embarrassment to control the power of prayer. So, I want to offer this prayer up to a God who turns darkness to light, pain to praise, brokenness to completion, and who understands the tears shed for the pain, fears, and concerns within. 

It says in Psalms 147:3, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
May my third row family feel this comfort in knowing God has all the weak in His hands. The tears have not gone unnoticed and will not be wasted. God in all His glory, turns them into refreshment for the wounds exposed and bleeding with pain. God, I pray for my family right now as they experience life in its richness and ask that you surround each and every one of them as they navigate the road ahead of them. I pray that whatever they face may be turned into a hopeful situation with restoration, healing, and rest. God, I ask that you comfort them in the life thrown at them and pray they find rest in your truth. Lord, if it's health I pray that your hand of healing would come upon them. That any pain experienced would be seized and understanding would be found. I pray for their kids that You would protect them in their marriages, with their young families, and for the kids to follow Your Word as they raise their families. I pray for those lost to be found and bondage to be broken. Protect those from the grip of satan's lies and bait. Lord, let your truth flow through the lost like a raging river winds down the mountain side. May your grace reach everyone of them and may they find strength daily giving You the praise deserved. May they never feel alone. God, thank you for this "family" within the body of Christ. Give them a season of joy; a time to rejoice for the good in their lives and the blessings you shower them with. Thank you for the maturity they offer, the smiles shared, and the harmonies sung. May they feel as loved as we do in our third row family. Be with them this week for whatever reason gave way to tears. Help me to never feel unqualified to pray when all we need to say is "Lord help us in our grief, our loss, and rejoice with us in our praise."

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."  James 5:13-16

I love worship. I love corporate worship. And I love the old hymns that I grew up on. I'm so grateful and praise God that I too, am a part of a family. Whether it be the third row family, my neighborhood family, or blood related family. 

      
I'm so glad I'm a part
of the family of God-
I've been washed in the fountain,
cleansed by His blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus
as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family,
the family of God.
      
You will notice we say "brother
and sister" 'round here-
It's because we're a family
and these folks are so near;
When one has a heartache
we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory
In this family so dear.
      
From the door of an orphanage
to the house of the King-
No longer an outcast,
a new song I sing;
From rags unto riches,
from the weak to the strong,
I'm not worthy to be here,
But, praise God, I belong!


I pray that I never again allow a moment in need of prayer to pass by. And if you see me running talking to myself...consider yourself prayed for and praise God that we are part of the family.  

2 comments