Desert Adventures Part One

A year ago, I was doing my wifely duties of vacuuming up other people's messes when I jammed my two little toes into the recliner grossly breaking a little piggy. It took two doctors and a nurse to convince me to stop running for awhile until the break healed or I'd have a disfigured toe for the rest of my life. This meant deferring my registration for the Grand Circle Trailfest until this year. 
I've been training hard to accomplish this goal of three races in three days. Intense trail runs alone in the hills with my thoughts running wild and prayers being sent to the One who created the beauty surrounding Whatcom County. There is no lack of trails around here or others who love the trails as much as I do. I even managed to get Charlie to tag along on some flatter runs while pedaling beside me for miles. Training is challenging, mental and time consuming when juggling four littles. 
But, it was so worth the wait and dedication to stay focused and push
through the moments where training got hard. 
Addison's school had a few days off of school and she gladly jumped at the opportunity to join Mom in Kanab, Utah. We packed strategically knowing there were no wash machines for the immediate wash of weathered running clothes. Sleeping bags, air mattresses, multiple shoes and race day attire were jammed into a suitcase with about twenty large Ziploc bags ready to seal in the stench of my adventures. Addi and I flew into Las Vegas, then drove through some breathtaking country to get to our base camp where four hundred tents were set up and ready for runners.

{ Weekend cans at base camp. "Thou shall cover thy turd with sawdust." }

We quickly immersed ourselves with camp life, the S'mores Station and dinner haul. I absolutely loved having our oldest tag along with me, but I'm guessing she was thinking differently when desert storm released her fiery with the most insane thunder and lightening I've ever experienced. As a reminder, we are sleeping in tents, on the ground which was shaking violently and rain that pierced the one rain shield between us and God's sweet precipitation. Needless to say, we only got four hours of sleep before a rude early morning wake-up call and first race start for the weekend. 
I can't say great things about the food provided but I'm grateful we didn't have to worry entirely about it. The coffee looked like the mud we walked through and options of flavors were slim. Everything about my running usual's were thrown out the window. 
We drove a little over an hour to get to the parking lot where shuttles then brought us to the start line. Addison waited in the dry car until all the runners had been shuttled away then carefully delivered to wait for Mom to cross the first finish line. I was a little nervous for her being alone but making friends with the race director and finding other spectators gave me the ease I needed while she waited. 

Bryce Canyon (State #8)
2:57 time
266 out of 796 total runners
31 of 102 in my age division (30-39)
138 of 519 all female
13.1 miles total
2350 ft. in elevation change

{ Can you call that coffee? }

 { State #8 }

 { Got as close as I could before panic set in. }


{ Aid Station PBJ. }




{ Finish line surprise crawl. }

 { Finishers arrow. }

Keeping in mind there was a near flood the night before, the red rock trails were left with thick heavy mud making it sometimes scary as you slide down some hills. I started running in Bryce Canyon at 8400 feet above sea level and climbed a total of 2350 feet by race end. The air was at times wet, brisk from chilly winds and need I remind you the mud that sometimes added an additional ten pounds to what I was carrying every step along the skinny trail. After the aid station, I was greeted with a two mile climb that literally had me paralyzed in fear because when you looked up you got vertigo from the sheer height and looking down ... well, it was a ways down. Some man in purple pants noticed this and quickly stepped in, grabbed my hand, gave me a tight squeeze and pulled me up until the trail became wider than my shoe. 
Yes, did I mention the trail was skinny as we were scaling the side of the canyon? I hate edges, cliffs and not a huge fan of heights, yet I did this and completed every step. 
The finish line at Bryce Canyon was comical. We had to run in a wide wash for about a half mile until a culvert, which we ran under, had been settled with two feet of sediment from the day's before rain. This required you to nearly go hands and knees until you passed and feet later crossed the
first of three finish lines. 
I found myself in awe at the beauty that greeted me on the trails from the miles of towering rocks and vibrant colors. The chip time and my running time are about twenty minutes in change from all the times I stopped to take in the spectacular sights while almost every other racer stopped as well snapping picture after picture. Such support and cheer from other runners. 
I had many asking about who it was in the picture I had secured to my hydration pack. I loved introducing my sister to others and found they too, found inspiration from her journey. A few ladies had me stop just to hug me and thank Traci for encouraging them. 

{ Kanab, Utah }

After returning back to base camp and showering off my stank, Addi and I found McFlurries and hammocks to relax in until dinner was served. Because we lacked cushion the night before, we made sure to stop at the local General Store for a queens air mattress giving us a solid nights rest. We slept so good... until the alarm clock once again went off at four thirty for round two. 

No comments