Desert Adventures Part Three

Grand Canyon (9th state)
Horseshoe Bend
3:08 time
230 of 791 total runners
32 of 106 in my age division (30-39)
111 of 516 all female
14 miles total
1650 ft. in elevation

Waking up this morning meant packing up the tent and loading the car completely. Addi and I had already packed the suitcases the night before so it was a matter of rolling up bags by lanterns light.  The challenge is getting out of your sleeping bag into the low forty temperatures to dress and get going. I was so proud of Addison for rocking the runners tent life.
Once again, we were met with sludge for coffee and I'm thankful I packed a few Starbuck Via's to make my few sips go down a little easier. There was an overall sigh being this was the last day of the race, but also community tenderness in everyone's steps. I love the enthusiasm that greeted runners and overall spirit of community in base camp. Even though there are hundreds of people you start to recognize faces after a few days. I was entertained hearing where everyone was from and finding out their own running journey. Many of the participants had never ran on trail, elevation over five hundred feet or miles past double digits. I can't imagine how sore every joint and muscle would be without the training I committed to do. 
We again had to drive a distance to the shuttle parking lot near the start line. Addison really wanted to watch me start a race so she snuck in the shuttle rather than waiting this time for the spectator shuttle. With everyday, the start line opened up at seven thirty and then became a rolling start as the runners made their way to the line. This benefited the race congestion especially since many trails were single track. 

{ Waiting for the shuttle bus and blessed with this incredible sunrise. #nofilter }

{ State #9 done. }

{ Day three begins... }

Today's race made for my ninth state as I ran in Arizona near Horseshoe Bend. Originally, the course had all runners going ten miles. With the threat of rain later in the morning and the past few days rain, the Waterslot Canyons proved too dangerous to have all of us crazies trampling up and down a ladder into the skinny canyons. The pictures looked amazing so I was a little disappointed, but grateful I didn't have to swim my way out if a flash flood arrived. That said, the new course added an additional two miles to the final day race. In reality, it turned out to be fourteen miles on the most 
technical surface I've ran on ever. 
Think of fragile crepes, layered fifty thick and not being sure if they are secure enough to put your weight on... this is just a little of what I ran on. Layers of thin sand harden making the surface never flat or level and then add in seven miles of soft beach canyon sand. Parts of the out and back course (there was zero trails just markers to keep you from getting lost) forced you into skinny rock formations that had you scaling down and back up on the way back. Only one person at a time could pass. Absolutely crazy. 
The Grand Canyon by far gave me the most challenge physically and emotionally. The view did not in fact disappoint which kept me running and also knowing the finish line was miles away pushed me to keep running. 

{ A success just to keep the pink ribbon in view while navigating the terrain. }

{ What went down, must climb back up. }
{ Only wild life I saw...a sleeping porcupine. }

Knowing where you started, and that you had to retrace your steps, made the finish taste so sweet. Once you got less than a half mile from the end, people started to stand by the course cheering you on, encouraging you and promising you the finish was within reach. It was uphill in sand. What got me up was hearing the cheers and awesome announcer who nailed it all weekend calling out finishers names. 
What I had not planned on, was seeing Tim and Charlie standing at the finish line. Miss Addi had kept that a secret from me all weekend and what really happened was seconds after starting, she sent Tim a text who had been waiting at the upper parking lot. Five minutes later, Addison and the boys were reunited and driving back to their hotel. 

 { Moments after I began these sweet faces were reunited. }

I love that Tim wanted to have extra support on hand waiting for me after completing by 
far the biggest physical goal I've set out to do. 
39 total miles. 5034 total feet climbed. 
My family standing with smiles and tears in their eyes... worth it. 
I'm emotional to begin with crossing any finish line. This sent everything into overtime along with many watching this unfold. My Man Cub had wet eyes and a smile from one ear to the next. Best finish ever. 
And the cherry on top was having a hotel room with a regular shower less than ten minutes away before we drove four hours to Las Vegas where we'd all catch flights back home the next day. 
Husband win. Parent fail. 
Never again will I go back to Las Vegas and especially with children. The food was delicious, the mattress felt amazing, being with family awesome... the roller coaster way more intense then describe to me, eyes stained from seeing far to much (or lack of) and infused air inside combined with smoke was gross. 
I was happy to fly home. Addi and I even got to see the Space X rocket take off and fly through the sky ten minutes into our flight home. Pretty cool. 

 { This is no cedar tree. }

 { A surprise finish. }

{ A sweet moment shared with family. } 

 Even after a refreshing shower and subway lunch (again), I found my eyes damp from tears of accomplishment and being loved so well. I was overcome with emotion being surrounded by God's towering creation. I never ran with music playing; not once, but you could hear the canyons singing praises to the One who put this all into motion. I struggled thinking those lost couldn't see the beauty surrounding us with the eternal lens; glory displaying itself across the plains. The thoughts of my sister running free brought joy but also selfish grief. Needless to say, it was a blessing to process this all with my surprise visitor. 
I am proud of what I set out to finish. I am confident in my training that brought three solid finishes. I am blessed to have shared the end with those I love so much...even with sweaty hugs and salty kisses. 
Thank you to those that prayed for our safety and sent encouraging notes along the way. 
Thank you Grand Circle Trailfest for making this possible. 

"It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure." 
2 Samuel 22:33




No comments