Our (my) Given Go-To's

{ our friends and family: Jake (future SIL), Sam, Greg, Linda, and Mac } 

It was nearly 13 years ago that God introduced me to my soul sister and friend. God knew my heart needed this gifted, amazing gal pal in ALL areas of my life from fun to tears and tea to chocolates. It started with Linda needing someone to cut her little blond studs hair, Mac and Sam. Oh, and heaven's if I were to cut the pop! The first time I set my eyes on Sam, I must admit, my heart dropped a bit as he was a spitting image of Bryce Fransen who had passed away years earlier from a battle of cancer. From the hair to the dark brown eyes...it's all I could think about when cutting his hair for the first time. There was an instant connection with Linda and it started gaining head way when she too succumbed to my scissors and color techniques. She was the cutest thing! 
When Tim and I had been married for a year, he transferred job careers to Lynden Floor Design which has evolved into a lifetime partnership and multiple blessings for our family. Tim and Greg could be matched for twins with their go-get-em' personalities and Greg has had HUGE influence in Tim's business strategies. Greg has been a big brother and mentor to Tim in life and at work teaching, training, encouraging, scolding, and showing Christ in all levels of life. We never anticipated the level of involvement when accepting a simple job offer years ago. And with that came more opportunities for Linda and I to get to know each other and create AWESOME memories. 
From our first trip together laying tile in a lakeside cabin pre-kids and first shopping trip with the controversial swim suit purchases, to a second trip with the rent-a motorhome followed by a few Big White ski trips. Dinner dates with all you can eat crab and leftovers from others plates, and late night jobs setting up the new shop. Coffees, chocolates, introductions to Red Rose tea. Helping us with our first baby, family 'LOST' nights, game nights, BBQ's, coffee deliveries during new home construction. Third Day concerts and #1 fan concerts to the Newsboys...influence of music and scrap booking soon crept into their home and their hearts filled ours. We call them friends, family, landlords, business partners and brothers and sisters in Christ. 
What these two add to our lives can never be measured or explained. From our best to worst moments they hold no judgements; just open arms. When I needed Linda most, she gave, she wept, she hugged, and she forgave. From meltdowns in the cow pastures to hugs that nearly pulled me out of the car. These two dropped life and poured into ours. Linda held my hand, drove me to and from, spoke to the void during the freshest wounds I've experienced. She allowed me to be weak and carried me when I couldn't stand on my own. It's not easy being put into a fiery situation, but Greg and Linda did it with grace and showed forgiveness immediately. They embraced us when our "wash machine was broken beyond repair"!!!
Greg and Linda are the living example of "go to" friends, but more then that they exemplify the hands and feet of Christ to us and all around them. They have set a pure example of parenting and marriage for us and also shown us the balance of having fun. They are the biggest inspirations to us. Selfless, giving, humble, caring, God-serving people. My life is richer because of this friendship and my husband is a stronger man due to the example Greg has shown him through daily life together. We are better people because of a simple boys haircut. And let's not forget the influence these handsome boys have had on our kids!
Yes, it is true, there is questioning about whether or not the thumb print agreement still stands between Jake and Addi someday getting married. If we had our way they would never know that it started with a joke! Mac and Sam have helped me many times climbing in our trees, showing stunts to Charlie, and entertaining the thought of babysitting to our sweet little babies. So far my efforts at getting them to change diapers has come to a halt. Mac, Sam, and Jake have been just as much of this friendship as their parents and we thank them for their respectful giving and serving to our family.  


What's most embarrassing about this almost 13 year friendship is the idea that it took this long for Linda and I to have a picture taken of us together! Terrible! So why not start our photo memories in our dutch costumes in the next family adventure. 
I stand behind this friendship 100% and pray that I can give as much to them as this beautiful couple has given to us. I thank God for my friend reminding me of accomplishing my daily essentials, the timely phone calls, persuasions to home school, soft words spoken, tight embraces, and open doors when things looked bleak. I praise God for blessing my life with this rich, inspiring, sister-like relationship and pray for her daily. 
She is my Go-To and I pray I can be hers to the level she's been to me. 


1 comment