Washed By The Blood

In a small, reformed dutch town, infant baptism is not out of the ordinary. I was raised in a local church that baptized infants (most of the time singing the same hymn as the baby is sprinkled or as the pastor walked the isle with the little one) then later in life encouraged Profession of Faith as everyone who stood up front gave the same answer, "yes, truly with all my heart." I never understood why anyone had to stand in front of an audience and say those same words when your life itself should be a profession of your faith in action. When Tim and I were engaged, we sought the direction from a good friend about what the Bible says about infant baptism verses adult as we were raised differently in this issue. 
Tim was baptized as a young adult. Every time we sit through church as others proclaim their devotion to God, I get a nudge from My Love or those Godly goose bumps, as the emotion of the moment overwhelmes me. It's only been over the past few years that I felt God stirring a desire in my heart to be cleansed and publicly yield my life to Christ.


I was born and raised in a Christian home. Always went to church and Christian schools. I attended youth group and later helped lead youth group and Young Life when I was living in Seattle. I've never not known who created me. But, it wasn't until God was the only thing I had that I realized how strong my faith was and how faithful God was and is towards His daughter. 
As life dances and races by with work, kids, responsibilities, and relationships, it's easy to get distracted and forget about the One who put it all into action. My faith has grown deeper as I faced My Hero's diagnoses including months earlier as my Dad received the same bad news. In scary pregnancies and the unknowns in business, God has always been walking by my side reminding me that it's His will not mine. And in that will, God came with me as I lived through my lowest, weakest moment in my life as everything around me became unfamiliar. God spoke, "It Is Well," in that dark moment and it resonated to the deepest part of my soul.


"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."  Joshua 24:15


Ever since Adam and Eve, sin has been a part of our fallen world. We can try to ignore it, but like a pregnancy, eventually the truth will be known and you won't be able to hide from the ugliness this world offers. It is only by the grace of God we have the opportunity to shine our light and be sold out for Christ. To be all in and to let others know that even in the midst of chaos, it is Christ we live for. Never was there a moment where I was more ready to be cleansed from my past mistakes, scars, and misjudgments then now.
I can't find the words for the feeling of being able to leave the pain from this world at the bottom of the ocean. To be whole again and to yield to God my entire life, allowing Him to take control and not me trying to drive the bus. To willingly yield my life to God's plan when I'm not sure where that leads and to accept the plan God desires for my life. Being baptized was not only a re-birth of my faith, but also a re-dedication to the one who took me from my pit; our pit.


 "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose."  Galatians 2:19-21



It was an honor to be able to have My Love stand by my side, lift me from the waters and me lift him. 
These are our journeys that we are sharing with each other. I would want no one else to share this with then My Love. He is my partner in life that God has blessed me with and to walk into the water together, come out of the water and be embraced in his arms…I don't have the words for that moment.
The amount of life I breathed coming out of the water was pure, bright, rich, and fulfilling.
Let me take a moment and explain why Kim and Anne's words this morning were so enriching into our lives. These two caught us both when we fell. It was Kim that asked Tim to move out when I didn't have the strength or will power to do it myself. Kim sat in VERY uncomfortable meetings and situations as truth was spoken in detail and had the grace and humility to help us navigate those challenging times. Anne held my hand, prayed blessings over me, encouraged me, and mentored me in the years following. This couple has prophesied over us, shared insight with us, steered us in new directions, and challenged our faith to new levels as we explore missions and ministries. Their marriage has given us inspiration and their faith has empowered us to grow deeper with our Savior. It has been not just an honor to walk life with the Ryan's, but God has rewarded us with life-long friendships as we are so graciously blessed to call them friends and brothers and sisters in Christ.




So you see, having Kim and Anne resting in Hawaii just happened to be the "cherry on top" as we entered into this time of renewal.
God has been so good. God has richly blessed my life beyond my most outrageous, most ridiculous thoughts. God took what was comfortable, broke her, carried her through the pit, and has given her, me, a renewed passion for life as Christ has washed me by His blood.
All glory and honor and power be the One who saved me!


Thank you Bob for capturing this moment on film! 
www.eyeexpression.com

2 comments

  1. so, so awesome. yes, yes yes! I had the incredible experience of being (re) baptized while on a mission trip to Macedonia in 2010. My husband and Kate Ryan baptized me in Phillipi, where they say Lydia (Acts 16) converted to Christianity. It was a truly special moment as it signified some washing away of the old and embracing the new things God was/is.will do in my life. Blessings to you and Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience you had! Thanks Robyn!

    ReplyDelete