Our Reading Table

I love books. I love the smell of them, the feel and could get lost in a bookstore for hours. Last year around this time I gave a book report and thought I'd let you know what I've been reading since then! Of course, the stack of books I'd love to get too is still growing and need for more always welcomed. Finding the time for reading quietly can be challenging with the balancing act of kids, marriage, life and ministry but I always try to get in some reading time daily... And now that I've entered the stage of life where prescription readers are a real deal I may as well look cute too while flipping the pages.
What are you reading these days? I'm always open for suggestions!

Arise, Beloved
by C.C. Evans Puglise

Arise, Beloved was a simple read with a punch of boldness, encouragement and words of motivation. I parked on chapter 7 for awhile as it really hit home for me. A great quick read!


Girl, Wash Your Face
by Rachel Hollis

Well, I went with the trend and bought my own copy of this and glad I did. It's already been passed on in hopes it motivates and inspires others as it did me. I found it a timely read that confirmed many things God had been doing in my life. An easy read, not too heavy, but deep enough to make you take a good look at your own life.

Sold On a Monday
by Kristina McMorris

Sadly, this is the only non self-help book I've read this past year. But, it was a good one for sure! I had been eyeing it at the local bookstore for awhile and when walking downtown on my own, I finally caved and purchased it. Based on true events, this books takes you back to hard times when you would do anything to better your children's lives.

Jesus Every Day
by Mary DeMuth

I met Mary last summer and fell in love with her humble personality that invited you in like a fuzzy blanket cuddled up by the fire clinging to a steamy cup of tea. This book has been something I look at daily and then go back and reread a prayer when needed. This would make a great gift to any friend or family member needing a guided journey through prayers. 

Fanning The Flame
by Terri Clark

After a season of intense and intentional grief I felt somewhat drained. I never lost my faith, if anything it was made stronger, but I was fatigued. This book set it ablaze again. A simple read that laid out real truth, real promises and ability to use the match to rekindle a faith tired from the journey.

Sex, Jesus & The Conversation the Church Forgot
by Mo Isom

This is my kind of girl that calls it as she sees it; speaks it as truth reveals it. Every person ought to read this book. One of the conversations you want to have, but don't know how to start when sitting in a circle at Bible Study. Funny thing about this read was it was while on vacation with extended family...not your typical vaca reading material!


Swipe Right
by Levi Lusko

Once again, not your typical vacation reading material but one that every teen and young adult should read. We live in a world that craves social media updates and quick hook ups. Levi simply puts what's right and wrong in regards to the way we approach sex and romance via technology. I love Levi's writing style as you feel your in a face to face conversation with him as he fills the pages of the book. Honest, real and speaks about many things we struggle with daily.

Speak Like Churchhill, Stand Like Lincoln
by James C. Humes

Always good to learn new things. Tim thought I should read this one and I'm glad I did.

The Veil
by Blake K. Healy

My friend had recommended this book without knowing what I would discover inside. I've had a real interest and deeper sense of wanting to understand the spiritual warfare that goes on daily in our home and around us. This was a real account of one mans encounters and gifts to seeing the spiritual realm. Growing up I knew demons were real as were angels, but it wasn't taught that they were active around me. Some of the things Blake writes about are hard to accept with the upbringing I had in a Reformed church but that's not to say I don't believe they are real.


Experiencing Father's Embrace
by Jack Frost

The moment Tim was done reading this I quickly picked it up. This has been a hard one to get through simply due to the heavy content and rich dialogue about Father God. I have been challenged in my way of viewing God, as well as how I view Him. This is not for the new believer and yet it could be. Just be prepared to have to reread and have no distractions so you can fully take in what Jack teaches about. Powerful stuff.


Uninvited
by Lisa Terkeurst

Both of Lysa's books I found so much that I could relate to and read in agreement to the real struggles of life. At the same time, I was left encouraged and with much hope. I love her honesty throughout the pages and after listening to her speak this past summer, I could hear her voice come alive on every page. 

It's Not Supposed To Be This Way
by Lisa TerKeurst

Reclaimed: A 30 Day Devotional
by Stephanie Broersma

Yes, this is a shameless plug for a huge accomplishment achieved this past year!!!
Go to amazon.com to purchase your own copy!!!








No comments