++ Positive


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  Hebrews 12:1

I've read this verse so many times and probably had to memorize it at Sunday school as well. It never had such substantial meaning until this past weekend as I completed my first half marathon...literally. Within the first mile, myself and those running with me, tossed our first layer to our cheerleader (My Honey) on the side as our rain jackets were hindering us from running without over-heating! Mile markers gave all us runners the indicators that we were in fact making progress on the 13.1 mile journey to the finish line. The weather pending against us; trying to stop the enthusiasm, but the race carried on. Every runner had a different reason for running, but I left no question who I was running for. 


The race My Hero has been pacing herself on for the past six and a half years, awards her with the medal of endurance, patience, strength, and steadfast faith. It is a race of perseverance with what feels like a blind race and no finish line in sight at times. Trust in the oncologists treatment plans, surgeries, and medications can be daunting, exhausting, and in a rare moment celebratory. Finally, for the first time in a year and a half, we had reason to celebrate as lab results stated tumor markers were both down proving to us that the treatment plan is working. PRAISE GOD!!!

"The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."  Isaiah 58:11


As every runner hydrates along the race before and after, so does My Hero who fights for victory against a battle. Never has God left us alone and afraid over the past six years. Never did He desert us without our basic needs. The water of life; the hope that wells from within; it has been the fuel to the finish line. Just one sip of God's goodness is enough to climb the highest mountain, run up the steepest hill, or sprint through the toughest battle field placed before you. 
The level of anxiety in me has been at it's greatest and with the accomplishments of this weekend I feel burdens lifted. The tears of complete joy brought out the ugly cry at the finish line. During the race, I was the runner chanting, "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength" but, it was My Hero's face telling me I could take one more step that gave me the endurance to finish. Oh, I'm confident some runners thought I was a nut case as I talked to myself, sang to myself, prayed, and gave a "COME ON!" shout out to myself when my muscles wanted to stop. (there may have been a few WOO's too after mile nine)
It wasn't until I was about to round the last corner and head down a hill, which I might add is silly after running all those miles...jello legs and hills are usually not a perfect combination...that all the reasons I ran for hit me. I had the ball in my throat and honestly tried to put the tears away but rounding the final shoot and seeing the finish line was a success in many ways. The emotion that welled up from within was celebration of My Hero and her fight with cancer. It was for me and the healing that I've had to overcome in my marriage, my heart, and my mind. It was the personal achievement of something I never thought I could do and the example it gives to my little blessings of health and physical strength. It was a thirteen mile run of chatting with God and giving Him my pity parties and celebrations. 
I did it. Two hours and nine minutes later...

{ You can't see here, but there were tears streaming down my face as I greeted My Love with carbs and hydration }

{ BIL & SIL completed their first full marathon...makes this SIL so extremely proud }

{ Jackie and Melissa: running buds. }

When I stood at the base of a sheer cliff in my life, Jackie was there to listen, support, and carry me up the hillside.  We've been friends for years and she is a blessing in my life. I'm so grateful to God for giving me our friendship, to be able to live life together, and to stomp the pavement out and gain some miles on our Nike app whether on the trails or county roads.  She pushes me to be better, brings truth to my life, and is always ready to get her craft on with me! Thank you Jackie for being you, enlightening me with a little J. Buffet and running the rat race of life together. 
God has blessed me with so many amazing cheerleaders in my life; those that bring hydration to my soul in seasons of drought. 

{ My Mommy runs for our ROCKSTAR Auntie }

 It is in every race from here on out that I run for myself, but more importantly, My Hero. It states it on the cheerleading team's shirts and beams with pride for a race ran with only super-hero strength. We never know what the next day may bring but I'm comforted in knowing that God WILL provide my basic needs when all else fails. In a time where our government seems to be at daycare and GOD gets squeezed out of our rights and laws, I'm promised that stunning rainbow of truth and freedom. My God saves not only from personal agendas but from a fallen world and wrong turns taken. He can take the most messed up situation and turn it into something so beautifully made. A marriage that seems irreparable; He makes stronger and more intimate. A body broken, twisted, and bruised; perfect in His image. A lie so intertwined and believed made fresh and given new beginnings.
Life feels like a race and there is no one but God who I would want beside me telling me to "pick it up, just a few more steps, almost there, it's just around the corner"...and then...the promised rainbow.
The twig and sign of new growth. 
 This weekend truly was a double positive: a promise of healing to both of us. 

{ Surprise cheerleaders for Auntie's special medicine last week. No amount of money does what these to do for My Hero }








No comments