Forced Field Protection Among Us

So often I read, say or hear other parents like me say the phrase, "If only we had the eyes of a child."
It was in the sweet, tender moments of last night that made me realize I need to stop, pause, and see things like the eyes of my children. 
Lately, when it comes to bedtime routines, there is a similar pattern that has been on the rise and concerning me more each night. You see, our Sweets has been having more nightmares and has become scared at night as the shadows pass by, the noises make creaks, and the mind plays creepy games on the eyes. Addison has, almost nightly, become teary eyed as she lays in fear of the "what ifs" of life and the things unseen; kidnappers, robbers, health, bad people. It usually begins with me and ends with Tim turning on the lights, looking under beds, opening closet doors, and proving that windows and doors are all locked securely. Unfortunately, I was the same as a child, but not to this extent. The reassuring prayers are spoken and guarantees of coming back in five minutes are promised. Hallway lights kept on and doors opened. 
Chuckles hasn't had too much of this nighttime fear until this week. Robbers. The talk is all about robbers and whether or not they have guns, knives, or ways to get inside our home. It amazes me what a child's mind hangs onto as our neighbors were robbed three years ago during the week of the fair. For some reason, this has played a huge role in longer snuggle times in the evening. 
As I was securely tucking in Charlie last night, closing his blinds, wrapping him in his Star Wars sheets he says to me, "Hey mom, are there angels outside my window? It's not bright."
"Yes! They don't always shine bright white. When we get scared we just have to ask God to surround us with His hand of protection and the angels create a bubble outside and on top of our house keeping us safe at night and during the day. Remember how mommy tells you to say out loud when you get scared, FEAR NOT! FOR THE LORD MY GOD IS WITH ME!!! Well, when we say that God hears our hearts cry when fear creeps in. Does that make sense?" 
And like any five year boy who is as much of a Star Wars fan as Charlie, relates this intimate conversation to non other then that. 
"So the angels are like force fields!"

How simple is that? I get caught up in continual prayer and conversation with God that I forget the immeasurable amount of "force field" God grants me in protection, healing, peace, grace, and forgiveness.  God puts a wall of protection around me when my fears creep in and spreads through my veins giving me chills of mistrust, eyes of the world, and insecurity that plays mind games of inadequacy. If only I would just trust that the "force field" in my life that covers and wipes all worries, stresses, and fears. 

Be united with other Christians. A wall with loose bricks is not good. The bricks must be cemented together.   Corrie ten Boom

It was coming to my sons level that calmed his nerves, stopped the tears, and put a smile on his tired face. And with that, came the reminder to always remember that God has my best interest at hand. We can do what we can to protect ourselves by making a home safe, but the ultimate protection comes through prayer and seeking God's hand in our lives. To sit in His presence knowing that there is danger outside and people in our ways of life that want to rob us of the joy that comes in having Christ cemented in our walls of protection. 

"The intense prayer of the righteous is very powerful."  James 5:16

God, help me to trust in YOU more as you provide a force field around my family. Thank you for guiding me in the direction You planned for me and help me to entrust my life entirely; mind and soul; to your Word that teaches me that angels do really have my life in bubble wrap. Help me to teach my kids that the stronger our relationship, the more Word cemented in our hearts, and the more joy through our smiles, creates a taller, thicker force field that no man, robber or thief can ever break through. Give our minds peace in the dark and settle the nerves as we rest safely in the shelter of life. 
Thank you God for the eyes of a child and give me child-like moments when life seems all too complicated. 
AMEN...

So as they say on Star Wars...
 may the force be with you.


1 comment

  1. Sweet Chuckles! Makes my auntie heart hurt a little knowing bedtime is scary for them but at the same time makes my auntie heart beam with love and pride knowing they have child-like faith and understand the force field that is with them always! Give them both an extra good night kiss and tell them I love them like crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete