12th But Not Last: December Thoughts

I love the month of December for many reasons. 
I cherish all the family gatherings; the sense of belonging and togetherness. 
Even at the Element's work party, I felt like I was chilling with our extended family and I look forward to that special time chatting with as many as I can. Hearing about Anita's writing adventures, Cheri's expecting horse, Jennifer's boys and Doug's downtown apartment remodels makes me feel like I'm the background team member. I love knowing the accounting girls see me as more than just Tim's wife, but as a friend. Our Elements family has grown so much this year and it was my pleasure to introduce the better halves of many to other team players. 
Ever since we sold the salon , this has been the one and only thing I miss most.
The people. The relationships. The extended family.
 I still have contact with many of our stylists and I'm grateful for those amazing women as well. Family is more than just blood or those who married into a name.
Family to me, are those who share life together and those at the Windmill and past work adventures are just that: family.

Another reason I love December is the reflection and focus it brings to the manger. There would be no Christmas, no salvation or hope without Baby Jesus. There is immense pressure in society to keep up with the latest and greatest; to make us think we never will have enough. This entire month we are shelving the iPad in honor of Advent and Baby Jesus. There are a few in our home who resemble a two-year old having a temper tantrum when the words, "No iPad," are shuttered. Sometimes stripping the most wanted to make aware of the most important is needed. I would rather our family spend time pondering the birth of Jesus Christ and give Him our best as He always offers more then
we need daily.
The last few months has brought much fear revolving around health. I myself, find every headache or pain to make me question whether I should call the doctor or leave it alone. I've called many times reassuring myself that all precautionary tests are up to date and current. I try to pray for the worry to go away but it seems it's answered with another diagnoses. Am I having an anxiety attack? Possibly. Lately it seems most things are out of control when it comes to our health.
But, I will reflect on the past year and the good it has brought our family, the closer bonds and expressions of gratitude's rather then the negative…at least I'll try.

The sweetest reason I love December is simply because of ALL the treats!
My goodness they come in waves of chocolate truffles to sugar cookies and delicious pies and pastries found at the local bakery. If you haven't made your way downtown to The Lynden Dutch Bakery you should. They have four new scones which are dutch-bred and delicious. Yes, I've tasted and approve them all too.
Today the kids delivered another week of Lynden Tribune's to all 108 homes. Last week Addison snuck a Christmas card in the papers and was gifted with cards, tips and Russel Stover's truffles. Christmas is a time to celebrate, reflect, share and tell others
"Thank You."
These too, are treats for our family.
My board of faces in the salon is needing an update and all the cards being sent to us are eagerly awaiting their new placement for the year. My Love doesn't understand the importance of a card and quite frankly thinks it's silly. Me? I've always known my mom to do Christmas cards and I've always loved seeing and reading about the families
near and far to us.

The kids have about ten days left before Christmas break and if the older two don't strangle, trip or chase the other out of the house, then I've done my job well. I have even gone to the extreme of tempting to cancel Christmas if the "normal" sibling fighting doesn't stop. Actually, what I should do is buy each of them a big red button and every time they want to push the other over the edge they just push the button instead of egos and emotions. I should work on this and bring it to the Shark Tank. Who needs a demonstration when they could just watch and listen to a normal day here with Addi and Charlie? I just tell myself they love each other. Right? This I would not classify as a treat.

December is known to not be such a happy time for my Dad, but I'm praying as we wait for more test results from surgery and procedures that God will grant us more reasons to celebrate then to fear. Until then, I will continue my E2 Fitness workouts so I can overindulge in the treats and party meals of this rich, glorious season.

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men 
on whom his favor rest."  Luke 2:14

No comments