She Keeps Me Running

{ 7th state race }

The first time back in my running shoes after my sister passed, I found myself on the treadmill with worship music playing starring at a dark gray sky. I caught myself having a conversation with Traci about how I would ever run another race without her telling me right before all the sweet words of encouragement like she would through texts and phone calls. 
The reason why I made the goal of 50 by 50 (50 state races by the age of 50) was to run because she couldn't. It was to run for her, in honor of her and others, with the capability and ability to run and to make memories of traveling all across the country with my sister. We had plans to do big things with these races. We had talked about me running a race after our family cruise in Florida and how excited Traci was that I found a race with such a dear cause; Dash for Downs 5k. She was so excited for me to run! It was a one-sided, possibly a little of an angry toned chat as I sprinted through a few miles hoping to hear 
her voice talk back to me. 
I was almost done with my quick sprint when I was telling her I quit and then...
Right in front of me, against the moisture heavy, dark cloudy sky came a clearing of bright white clouds shaped as a heart. 
I have learned to see things for what they are and I took that moment and treasured it as my sweet sister sending me some love. A soft kick in the pants perhaps to say, 
"Get back up! You will not quit. You will not stop because I have not left you and will be with you on every race; every step."
And so I did. 
That night I registered for the race that she was so excited for me to run here in Florida. 
This morning, driving to the race, the sun rose from the east in gorgeous fashion and I felt her. 
She was with me. 
Every step. 
Today I ran for two Angels:
Traci Van Dyken and Katrina Van Berkum


 { Overwhelmed with emotion crossing the finish line realizing it's now running in memory of and getting another of many firsts out of the way.  }

I won't stop sister. 
The kids have even talked about running some races alongside of me and the family traveling to make this all of our goal; not just crazy Mom with her collection of running shoes. 
Like I've said...
His strength; my feet. 


No comments