My Tribute: Daughter, Sister, Friend

I first want to say thank you, on behalf of our family, for walking these past 10 years with us praying, encouraging and showing us support as we cared for our daughter and sister in her fight. It was not only just her fight; it became all of our fight and we can not say how much your willingness to join through prayer and support has meant to all of us. There were successful fundraisers, homes opened up to stay at, meals provided, gas cards given, rides offered to bring Traci to and from treatments or even back home. In boxes above Traci’s closet are every single card written with words of hope, scriptures of truth and sentiments of friendship spoken. Traci clung to your friendships and it is the fuel behind her fight. We humbly ask that you help us finish our Hero’s fight worshipping and celebrating her life, her love for her Jesus and to not focus on her death, but her victory.


In the early days, Traci and I shared a bedroom for 17 years. Many called us twins as we were only 15 months apart. We were each others best friend growing up. What she wore first and new, I was bound to wear used. Traci was the pack rat of us two. The things she collected; pencils, erasers, shells, stickers...it overflowed in our tiny bedroom. At one point I got so mad with her junk and mess I put duct tape on the floor clearly marking out a mini walkway for her to get to her side of the room and then making a guideline of where her junk could go. “This is my side and that is yours.” Then there came bedtime. Oh I had fun with that. Some nights we’d fight over the light needing to be turned off, but Traci was a diligent student and dedicated at getting her homework done regardless of the time of night. On other nights, I’d let her fall asleep by about 20 minutes then I’d carefully slither out of bed, quietly sneak across the floor and with a loud scream wake her up. Oh she’d hate me for that! Of course everyone likes seconds so about 30 minutes later I’d do it again! Usually what followed was “girls, go to bed.”

Then there was the time our feisty baby brother thought he’d annoy us by swinging between our beds and after Traci gave clear warning to stop and get out, she thought she’d send a stronger message, pushing him off the bed and ending up breaking his arm.

Our parents were committed to family time and we spent our summers in the San Juan Islands exploring the beaches, hiking and fishing from the docks. That passion for the outdoors continued into her adult life as she biked miles through Portland, paddled through the river, hiked the falls and mountains in the northwest and shared her love of the islands with her nieces and nephews. Traci was a selfless, giving, loving and easy to persuade kind of Auntie. She never came home empty handed and the kids knew if they were to visit Auntie they’d end up with some special treat. Addison was two when Traci received her cancer diagnoses. Our kids have only ever known their Auntie to be sick. She didn’t let that stop her from making memories and special moments that we will all treasure forever.

But I don’t want to spend your time telling you all about what she did as an auntie because she bragged about her family all the time. She was proud of her family and her walls in her apartment prove that as they are covered with hand drawn pictures, photographs and special tokens from the kids. Her computer is laced with thousands of pictures of those she loved.

Traci over the years has expressed to me tidbits of what she would want for her service. We never spent much time talking about it because neither of us wanted to focus on that. But it’s quite simple: Jesus. She wants it to be all about Jesus.

The last time I held my sisters hand was the first time she stood before her God and Maker.
Cancer-free.
Complete.
Without pain or scars of her almost ten year journey with breast cancer.
Surrounded by her family, she peacefully marched her way into glory.

Whenever I had a question about faith, the Bible or just needed to talk about our Jesus, she was quick to help me out often times sending me lists from her Bible reference books per topic or recommending books for me to read.

The hours leading up to Traci entering Heaven, I spent reading to her from her worn-torn Bible. At one point I stopped reading and she asked for more songs. “You want more songs? More Bible verses?” She gently nodded her head yes. Traci longed to know more about her Savior. The pages of her Bible tell us so. Her journals are filled with Bible Study notes as she simply couldn’t get enough Truth learning more about Jesus. Revelations was her favorite.

What I admire most about my sister is her solid faith in Jesus Christ. There was a period of time where Traci and I were not very close. It was rather a relationship of tension, stress and jealousy. What I find profound is how her diagnoses of breast cancer brought her to life. She often wondered what her purpose was and struggled with depression in her aimless wandering of figuring out who she was. In God’s amazing purpose and perfect plan, He gave Traci her eternal purpose and mission field in what ultimately took her away from us too early. It was her cancer that brought back to life our friendship. It instantly bonded us. She inspired me daily fighting through countless chemotherapy treatments, radiation treatments and surgeries. With every setback, her faith gained that much more strength. It fueled her to live brighter, more courageous and to live unashamed of her faith in a God that can move mountains.  

Her cancer became her mission field. We will never know the number of lives she touched through her positive, uplifting and joyful attitude as she selflessly fought cancer.

My Hero, Traci, lived her life racing towards the end. It’s been two weeks since my sister has left us. I can’t explain the weight of missing her presence, the size void she left. What I can tell you is what I have learned since she’s passed and what she would want you to know as well. When I opened her Bible after we got home and started to read through her journals was a common thread. Her end was just the beginning. Even in her Bible you’ll find a page of Genesis in the very back of her Bible because it really is true: The beginning of life doesn’t begin until it reaches the end. When we stand face to face with our Maker in all His perfection and He says to His child…
Traci, well done my strong, joyful, daughter. You have been faithful. You are now free.

Sister, it hurts to breath I miss you so much. Thank you for teaching me what matters most.
God is indeed so very good.

No comments