@#*$%!@* Is What I have to Say...



Our family can't seem to kick this beast. 
A few weeks ago while cutting my dad's hair, I noticed a black spot on the top of his head that was far from normal. (ATTENTION to all hairstylist's: PLEASE take a look as you cut your clients hair. You are the only one that sees top down.) I told him to immediately make an appointment with Dr. Bowden which he did…
melanoma.
Hearing those words are crushing and devastating. 
I was hoping it was black pen Myriam may have decorated on top of Papa's head. 
It's not.
We never know what the next doctor will tell us and have heard many diagnoses in the past 20 years from colon to prostate to breast cancer, lung, bone and skin cancer. It's no shock to our family any more besides the emotional weight it brings.
BUT, we have had one constant and that is Christ sustaining us throughout the years. No matter what, God has not walked away. I recently read a quote that stated:

  If God brings you to it; He will get you through it.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."   Psalm 23:4

And that is exactly what our family will do once more. Watch God bring us through this. We will stand together in support, encourage one another (I'm the family cheerleader), make the other laugh and help out where help is needed. My mom, well, she will do what she does best and keep on saying "Yes," to everything and everyone as she's my saint and inspiration. The kids, the distractions, will make Papa laugh and assist in getting his mind off the worst case scenario. It's a family affair getting through another small fight, but we have done it before in great fashion.

And if one diagnoses isn't enough for one family, why not test them with two?
Dad had his surgery this morning which went as well as possible. It only took about 45 minutes and didn't require skin graphing or a larger incision to be made. The kids made sure to bring some cheer with posters and cards once Papa was settled back at home.
It was on the way to Bellingham that my Mom let me know Grandma had gone to the ER with a possible hernia. If only it was that simple.
A CT scan revealed a mass of tumors filling the uterus cavity making things extremely uncomfortable for Grandma. Immediate surgery in Seattle will take place soon. We have our faith to direct us, our family to support us and a community of believers to cheer us up when smiles are the last thing on our minds. As Grandma said to me today, "If this is how the good Lord wants to take me, then so be it."

So, we armor up, gear up and get ready to fight cancer's butt…again. Addi is struggling to understand why everyone has cancer and without words, has fear of this hurting more people and herself. Gonna have to find some thick armor for the young ones with fear of this disease and the unknowns of not understanding at a young age why people have to get sick. This means lots of prayer and heavy armor.
I will have to come up with a new hairstyle for Dad in attempts to cover up the bald surgery spot and gather a squad of grandchildren to brighten Grandma's day. Maybe Dad will want Tim's do??? Probably not. 

 { Delivering some cheer to Papa after surgery. }


{ Another scar; Another story. God is STILL good. }

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."   Psalm 62:1-2

{ Addi delivering some cheer to Grandma and making sure she knows she's loved. }

No comments