Move Over Winter

 Life has been pretty calm lately besides the fact that spring is boldly and quickly making itself known around our home. The sun stays out later making the neighborhood full of bikes, scooters, basketball games and friends coming and going through the yard. Playhouses are being cleaned out and prepared for the sunny months of entertainment and the trampoline has been cleaned for bouncy adventures. The cherry blossom trees are in bloom welcoming anyone who drives into the driveway. The daffodils I did have were in color before being picked by little loved ones and the lawn has had it's first haircut. The family of six deer frequent almost daily making the spray necessary to keep any bush clothed in leaves; hungry furry creatures they are! Buckets have been filled with winter weeds including the millions of maple starts 
I had the kids helping to carefully pull from the soft soil.
This week we had our vent ducts cleaned and outside pressure washing was completed. On the list for spring cleaning are still the windows, the blinds and the seasonal cleaning/organizing of all closets. Ahh, it feels good to have some decent spring cleaning taking place. 

{ Jumping the winter crazies out. }

Yesterday, I spent over an hour cleaning Myriam's carseat, using toothpicks for the tight spots, finding close to a meal sandwiched, smushed, and shoved into the tiniest of places one could find on a joyride. Sure I could implement a new rule of no more Goldfish, coffee shop treats or whatever else I have in my purse for snacks consumed in the car, but let's be real. I believe most mom's shamefully could agree that we all have a happy meal hiding somewhere in our mom cars giving us a moment of silence cruising through town. 

 { Self inflicted SHORT haircut. }

 { The chair of shame knowing she done wrong.}

The kids are busy with school projects including classroom speeches which Addison blew me out of the water LOVING. Say what??? You, of extreme shyness, silence and fear of stages or performances LIKED to stand in front of class and give a speech??? Folks, you have yourself a modern day miracle. Seriously, this is an amazing feat for our Addi Jean and it brings such delight to this mama seeing how much she has blossomed into a shining star at school. 
On the other hand, it was an emotional week as we made the decision to send Charlie to "real" school next year. Charlie and I have always struggled to make the homeschool schedule flow with focus, motivation and determination to complete assignments. It's been a year of butting heads, pulling hair and tossing pencils in the air trying to get through a lesson of anything at home. I had a lump in my throat after I told Charlie this as he had instant excitement on his face. Feelings of failing him as a teacher were very real that day but since then, we are all excited for what he will accomplish in his third grade year at Fisher. My goal now is to make sure his re-entry into the traditional classroom is one that can be confident in his learning abilities, prepared for all opinions ready to become the leader some may never have and that makes us proud of our decision to switch schools. 


As Spring brings lots of sunshine and potential allergy flare-ups, it also brings many running races that I've been happily training for. Last October when I tore my calf muscle, I honestly wasn't sure if I could manage longer runs ever again much less a 50k come this May. It has been an absolute joy being able to run the Bellingham trails again with my running gals. Oh, how I love Galbraith and a muddy trail! Wednesday's have become the favorite day of the week as Papa watches Myriam (and sometimes Marley) so I can get a longer run in before all the kids are home from school and visits. I look forward to these days and so does Papa as he's embracing the retired life of chilling with grandkids. Last week Linda and I tackled the Interurban Trail completing twelve miles from Fairhaven to Larabee and back with just the last mile having some light drizzle before the rain came in with a force. This week we pranced through the Lake Padden horse trails climbing up and over many trees that had fallen victim to last week's wind storm.  We live in a gorgeous area full of beautiful hiking trails, friendly trail faces and have been blessed with perfect weather for running. 



The birdies are chirping and my coffee cup is empty. I have a few bags of bulbs to plant and more Spring cleaning to tackle today. 
Happy Spring time to you and yours.

No comments