A Run And A Prayer

This afternoon I found myself in the middle of the pack as five of us went for a gorgeous afternoon training run in Everson along the Nooksack River. Once paces were set and I realized I was the lone gal panting in the middle, I turned on my Pandora and let the worship music fill the breeze. I LOVE worship music and even more so, when I'm forcing my body to run when all I want is to sit with a tray of chocolate chip cookies bundled up in a blanket. I'm totally capable of running four or less miles myself but, really do like to have company on longer runs. This was a nice way to encourage my body to go a longer distance in order to push me into the more stretched out runs. 
I found myself getting completely caught up in the worship as the river raged downstream, the robins and few eagles soared through the air and the sun hit my face. My hands went from runners pose to wanting to be raised high and the tears were waiting to fall as I choked them back. 
There is something extremely powerful about this month. This afternoon in God's country, I was met with His grace, His beauty, and His sustaining strength not just in my run but, in life. God has been busy stirring my heart and I was challenged to start a new small group at church for women. God has been side by side through all the preparations, writings, prayer times, and devotion for this ministry. He placed a team of women to pray for me, my family, and those attending. This week as Tim and I approached a what-could-be-dreadful-day, was instead met with restoration, forgiveness, HOPE, and a smile that spoke of the goodness in our lives given to us through our resurrected Savior! The gift we are given through the cross is overwhelming, empowering, and one that I'm beyond grateful for in my life. The cross has saved me. The cross has given me life and filled my lungs with eternal breath that never grows tired or weak. Knowing this truth overwhelmed me today not only in fellowship at church but in fellowship in His creation. How am I, this selfish sinner, allowed a second chance, an eternal gift, and salvation through the cross? I don't deserve it at all. I'm not perfect and struggle like everyone else. Self doubt and worry about My Hero, the fate of my kids, and safety for my family can sometimes be suffocating and cause me to stumble. 
BUT…
God's sacrifice on the cross extended love and offered me salvation even with my struggles, my past, my pains, and rejoices in my worship. Even worship along the Nooksack. 
Pastor Jason was teaching this morning about prayer as it encouraged and convicted me to not just pray when I need something but in EVERYTHING bring it to God. That is very comforting when things are scary but also to know that I can just say, "Hey God, how's it going. Thank you for the tiny pops of color in the yard and the sweet songs of the birds in the morning. Thank you for the messy house as it gave me more time with the kids. Thank you for the romantic kiss in the kitchen and the marriage You've blessed me with." I find throughout the day that I start a dialog with God and even more so when I'm outside whether doing yard work or running. 
I'm finding myself approach this month with abounding eagerness, an open heart for the work God's doing in my life and our marriage, and reverence for the immense Love that was nailed to the cross. 
Thank you Jesus for meeting me today right where I was…even if it was a simple run and prayer.

No comments