What's Going On?


 
Well, I was not expecting the wave of grief that slapped me across the face on Thanksgiving. Mom had the table set up days before the meal was even in the oven having everyone sitting just so. What she didn't take into account was that dinner was served during Baylee's nap time leaving an open seat at the table empty. Dad said "Amen." We all looked up, and in unison, our eyes fell to the empty plate and 
seat that instantly provoked tears. 
There is this oddly strange feeling of tug-of-war between joy and sadness. The bi-polar opposite of having no words, no measurement to explain the longing I have for my sweet sister and in the same moment experiencing overwhelming joy knowing she's free of pain and disease. I would, simply put, explain my condition as being an, at most times, hot mess! 
Thanks to the glass of wine it took the edge off and allowed me to relax some with the family. 
No guarantees for Christmas on having my crap together. 

We celebrated Myriam's sixth birthday with a Pinterest attempted Pony Cupcake Cake! Oh, she loved it! Can't say Addi and I nailed it, but at least you knew what it was suppose to be. Baylee helped herself to the leftovers the next day as we set up Christmas lights outside. She obviously enjoyed the treat as did Myriam sneaking many herself.


As a young child, I remember going to many Christmas events including Christmas programs at churches, craft shows, listening to the singing Christmas Tree and looking at lights as a family. Mom and I dabbled in a little of that tradition by attending NCCTK's Christmas Concert earlier this month. What a festive time of desserts and carols getting us prepared for the Holidays. Mom made a great date for me too as Tim was stuck in the sound booth. 

Tim has been extremely busy with work travel this month. 
One benefit to his travel is having a cousin who works as a mechanic on Air Force One and having meetings in Washington, DC. The combination led to Tim and his co-worker Jason, along with two other customers, to a much desired personal tour on the plane. You couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces for the much anticipated tour. Jeremy gave these men a fantastic three hour detailed tour, sharing inside stories of who sat where and what decisions were made there. They even rolled the plane out of the hanger and taxied on the runway so they could come back and say they rode on Air Force One. Perks. 

December brings many activities and traditions to life. Fairhaven being one of them. Both Addison and Traci's happy places, we took to the quaint little town exploring shops, tasting oils and enjoying the festive horse carriage ride around the town. Myriam choose to sing Christmas carols to strangers bringing Christmas cheer to those we passed by. The toy store was the little girls favorite while the mini donut food truck was both mine and Lindsay's desired treat. We warmed up inside with a late lunch and can't wait for the next girls date coming up as we get dolled up for the Nutcracker later next week. 

I took all the kids to Creativitea for a secret Christmas project they all did amazing at creating. Some were more organized in their process then others and some said almost two year olds forgot where the paint goes leaving much of her face to be washed off. After the kids were satisfied with their projects, we went to La Fiamma's for a fun pizza dinner. Of course, playing with the pizza dough while waiting for dinner always gains sensory points for this Mama!

If you're looking for a local card to pass on a hello, make sure you stop by The Mill Inn's gift shop and search for Addison's first published art work. With four northwest prints to share, you can purchase a space needle, windmill, dutch shoes or evergreen tree to mail a taste of Whatcom County to a loved one. She also has summer prints, baby and children printed cards that hopefully will be available soon in other local stores shortly. All cards are blank inside and come with an envelope. 

My brother recently bought himself a mountain bike giving him no reason to NOT join me on my favorite mountain; Galbraith Mountain. I was quite surprised how we managed to keep up with each other on the climbs and level trails, although, there was no contest on the down hills when he was on wheels and I just my two feet. The trail fairies even decorated a few trees giving the landscape a festive feel as we ran/rode over eight miles together. Helped we had gorgeous weather to work up a sweat in and as always, everyone on the hill is so friendly offering hello's and Christmas cheers. 

And now, here I sit, knowing Christmas break has began for a couple of our kids, contemplating ways to keep them from pure boredom and Mommy out of the crazy bin. I would love nothing more than to see some white fluff on the ground and to have no more sickies enter our home. Yep, I was unfortunately in the splash zone twice this week with the littlest princess dreading a repeat of last year's disaster of the bugs floating around town. We've been days free of anything and feeling healthy.  The teacher gifts are all handed out, my Christmas cards delivered and almost all gifts wrapped for those few children who like to peek. 
Don't ask me if I'm ready for Christmas because in a material sense I am; my heart speaks a different message. So, I keep running, keep seeking God's blessings in my life and give so many thanks for the community we live in to explore, enjoy and create memories together with a little crazy family such as ours. 


No comments