Fourth State...Check!

Four down. 
Forty-six to go.
Another race for the sisters!
Overwhelming to think about, but I still have many years to go until
my deadline of 50 by 50 expires. 
When we booked our extended family trip to California, I quickly checked all race schedules in the area to find something I could register for and get the state colored in. I found one no more then ten minutes from our location at Knott's Berry Farm sponsoring youth with speech and language delays. 
I had everyone packed the night before, enjoyed a bowl of ice cream to fuel up as it "had" to be eaten not wasted in the freezer and woke the kids up an hour earlier due to the time change to make the race by 7am.


I've never been at a race where the National Anthem was sung so it was a first when all the men removed their hats and our country was honored before thousands ran through the theme park. I was a little bummed that the family stayed behind in the car but due to the amount of people and time crunch of catching a flight, they missed the start and finish.  As I waited in Wave 3 before the race began, I got talking to a gal standing next to me who was a two year breast cancer survivor. My shirt gave it away as to who I run for and why which gave the two of us plenty to talk about before we took off. 
I'm not sure how many waves of people went across the start line but when I crossed the finish line, the MC sent the last group off! 
I do plan to toot my own horn as I managed to obtain my personal record for a 5k finishing at 24:48! I was 6th out of my age range for 5k females (6 out of 253) and 36th overall for all 5k-ers (36th out of 2856). There was also a 10k race in the same herd of people so the crowds were HUGE!
Toot, toot!



The funny thing was I was so concerned about making our flight that I hurried past the boysenberry pie that awaited me at the end of the race and booked it to the car. Can I just say how impossible it is to change in the front seat of a car with kids in the back and a sweaty sports bra tangled up in your business? Not too mention the oncoming traffic getting a front seat show! 
By the time we made it to the airport I was changed and ready to go home...
as were our sleepy children!
Now to figure out which state and what race is next!

No comments