At the Bottom of a Mountain

Over the past month, I've managed to climb to some new heights in south Bellingham. Starting with the Fragrance Lake 10k then quickly followed by the backside trails in the same area. 
The last was on Stewart Mountain with soggy, wet, foggy views. 
I'm reminded of a song Selah sings that the kids love...

I've been climbing my whole life
And I am only at the bottom of the mountain
At the bottom of the mountain

Rising up from my feet in the daylight
Rising up into the clouds and out of my sight
Is the height of that mountain

Oh my hands cannot reach it
And my mind can't comprehend it
But my soul is gonna get there one day

Lord these shoes are gonna need some help
So make it to the top of the mountain
To the top of your mountain

Many feet have gone before us
With a habit of faith and courage
They'll meet us at the road's end

Well my hands cannot reach it
And my mind can't comprehend it
But my soul is gonna get there one day

Yes, yes, I think I will
Oh yes, I know we will
Yes, yes, I know we will
Oh yeah, I know we

All along this road
When it feels so far to the top
You say, "Just hold onto the mountain"

Though my hands cannot reach it
And my mind can't comprehend it
But my soul is gonna get there one day

 { Lost Lake's Angels }

 { Christie making sure we turned the "right" direction }

 { Bellingham Bay above Larabee State Park }

{ Breath-taking views from 3300 feet - Mt. Baker and Twin Sisters were stunning! }

{ Two hours of trail running and we still smile...twisted. }

{ Stewart Mountain 1/2...3 paid; 2 running rogue! }


 { Our views were no more than 25 yards in front of us...if that! }

Christie was on her own to run the Stewart Mountain Trail 1/2 and somehow, managed to persuade Melissa and myself into running rogue alongside her...all 5 miles up and 5 miles down with a warm up of 3 on flat trails. We were soaked before the start and by the top of the hill had frozen hands, wind-chapped lips and clothes weighing an extra 10 pounds from the rain/hail gracing us with it's sideways presence. 
John 15:13 comes to mind...
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
I lost Christie during the last mile as I was slipping and sliding through the mud and mini rivers from all the rain on the trails. Being I was running rogue, I took more caution around corners rather than face-planting for a free mud facial. Charlie horses and frozen, fat lips are what I get for my friendship dedication. Next time...wait...nope, someone else's turn!

{ Good times; and wet times! }



No comments