An Empty Tank with Tired Legs & .03 Away

{ Grace, Christie, Melissa, me, Holli & Julie }


A couple of weekends ago, I ran in my second half marathon! Running has become a way of life for me; mainly therapeutic. The problem is this…I get very competitive at any race and end up going out guns a-blazing in attempts to reach my mind-set goal. Last year I ran this same race in 2:09.10.
This year I had a goal of coming in under two hours and was a step away from making that goal:
2:00.02
Now, I realize I need to be happy with that time, and I am, BUT, being that close from making a goal has been eating away at me. 


Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance that race marked out for us."

I could not have asked to have better friends surrounding me on, and during, the race day. The three of us set out early to catch Jackie as she had just begun her 26.2 in the thick fog and on dewy roads. Thankfully, the sun broke free and brighten the morning up, warming us up too! Christie and I were both on the same page of meeting the under two hour marker. Without having "coach" by my side, I would have given in more to the mental game of running miles earlier. Together we kept an average pace around nine minute miles and a few even under 8.5! It wasn't until mile nine that my mind got in the way and really tanked at mile 11.5. Christie was so inspirational, sometimes too upbeat, but overall the exact person I needed to push me, coach me, encourage me and ultimately get me to the fitness shape I'm in today. Credit goes to Christie but the feet belong to me! The 13.1 miles went by quite fast as we pushed and challenged each other the entire way.

Reflecting on the scripture verse and my race time had me thinking:
We have one main goal as believers.
To stand confident at the pearly gates as Jesus welcomes us into Heaven.
Am I giving my all into my faith walk in order to achieve the goal? Am I living, training and executing my decisions in a way that will help me obtain everything God wants me to do in my life?
This is one goal that I (we) will never know what my (our) best time will be when viewed by day, month, and year splits. Terrifying really. But should it be?
I'm confident that I gave every ounce I possibly could on the last 12th street hill. I'm confident in my training and fitness capabilities and how they propelled me to shave nine entire minutes from my last years time.
I should be just as confident in my faith that I, without doubt, know where I am going after life on earth.

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 3:14

Whether your race is physical or spiritual, pick up the pace. 
"Trot, trot, trot!"
If you need a coach, just open the Bible or ask a friend to walk with you because it's much easier to race together than on your own. I pray that I was just as encouraging to Christie running besides me as she was and has been to me.
I think of my sister (Dad & Lorna too) as she fights against harsh conditions, but has the ultimate goal of overcoming cancer. That's a fight one can't fight alone. Raising our little family is ours to do alone, but a village behind us is due credit for the support and encouragement given to us as parents and then to the kids. No race is meant to be done alone! Jesus blesses us with friends and family for that exact purpose; life is a team effort!





I'm blessed with my crazy running friends and so proud of all of us and our extend E2 family that kicked butt on race day! We have our health to be thankful for and a finishers medal to prove that we did indeed run all steps towards 13.1 miles. (for the crazier one all 26.2 miles!)
Now to the next race…we really are crazy!!!

To be apart of the E2 Fitness Family check out:
www.e2fitnesscenter.com


No comments