Apples & Pencils: It's School Time!

We are now in full swing with routine and busy schedules. Tim and I decided to get the kids enrolled with campus classes this year through the Meridian Parent Partnership Program as we have been involved with Mp3 now for 4 years. It has provided us with great accountability and access to fantastic resources. I've been extremely pleased and I'm excited to see how the kids respond to both science and writing classes. 
A few weeks ago we went to a Mp3 orientation where we met the kids' teachers and spoke to Teacher Jeff, our SLPC (student lesson plan coordinator). Jeff has been our SLPC for 3 years going on 4 and has watched Addison come out of her shell as we started with email weekly contacts and now have phone conversations without fear. Every year we re-evaluate and decided which is best for the kids, but so far have come back to home school being the best for our family. 
I'm excited this year as I have a few text books I can teach from for both kids. 'The Story of the World', geography and social studies along with Math-U-See are all the same just adjusted to the grade level. This makes it organized and easy to track for me. With a toddler running around being more than interested in school, I've had to get creative with activities for Myriam during our morning routines. I feel like I have a pre-school going on at the same time! Thank goodness for Pinterest with more than enough ideas and printables for me to provide the little busy one to be entertained and stay out of our way! 
There are so many different options for home schooling families these days.  You can keep your 24 hour day full if you did them all, but for us less is more. The kids have everything they need for their school grades so no worries that we just do math and call it good. Each kid learns and excels at different rates which can be frustrating, but also allows the other to shine where the opposite struggles. Nothing is sweeter than watching Addi see Charlie struggle and having her come alongside and help him with letters and sounds. They can fight like the best of siblings, 
but also understand they need each other as well. 
So, for now we attempt to keep schedules and routines along with other obligations. The kids have campus classes on Monday and Wednesday, as well as the paper route in the morning too. Thursday's are creative art classes with Brenda Calvert which Addison has done before and Charlie now in his first year. Brenda has had a huge impact on Addison's art ability and giving her a passion to draw and create. I'm excited to see Charlie's artistic skills blossom this year!
Besides the laundry piles and refills of coffee in the morning, 
this is our life for the next year. 
Being at home is a sacrifice as I don't have all the time in the world to keep my floors sparkling clean and junk piles properly put away. (Disclaimer: I'm don't live in a pig sty. The kids are clean and I swear by Clorox wipes.) Our little life doesn't work for most, but it seems to work for us. 
Here's to 2014 and all the up's and down's of playing the Teacher Hat and Mommy Hat all at the same time. 


No comments