Potential Removed; Love Replaced

Sunday night, I attended Catalyst Worship at NCCTK. It's a night to worship freely, take communion and fall deeper in love with the God who created the stunning beauty surrounding us, the super moon over the night skies, the vibrant orange and pink sunsets and beating hearts within our children's chests. There were many moments I felt God speaking directly to me and of others. 

There is no denying God put this ALL into existence.
There is no denying that no other human is possibly capable of creating such majesty.
There is no denying we serve a creative, artistic, compassionate God who loves to please His children.

It's been weighing heavily on my heart recently for those who don't have a voice. For the innocent children who may not know the simple love of their Eternal Father. For the children who don't have options until it's placed in someone else's hands beyond their control. 
I recently read a great book written by a young boy who had witnessed his family all shot to death in front of him by the rebel army in Africa. He managed to escape death and fled for many years with four other friends jumping to and from villages to dart around death, starvation and being caught by the enemy. He eventually was recruited into the rebel army and did the exact thing another boy soldier did to his family. The events in the book are beyond disturbing and to think such devastation happen to one boy was daunting. In the end he was rescued by an organization that reunites boy soldiers with the real world and introducing them to a future. I believe the system we have in place for our foster kids is much like the story besides the gruesome details; although, there are some kids who are blessed and given a chance at a better life. 
These kids fall victim to violence within their homes, pain because of drugs, emotional abuse and many are left without food because of addictions that take priority over themselves. It's heartbreaking at most and makes me want to jump into action. I can't fathom the world many live in as I was raised by two loving, caring parents who put us kids first. I had meals prepared, warm beds to sleep in, clothes washed and ready to wear. I received encouragement, had set boundaries, was given opportunity to thrive and felt loved with the knowledge taught about Jesus Christ. 
Think about an existence without that? Without knowing there is a God who loves you more than your very own parents. Without knowing God will see you through the end in whatever situation you find yourself walking through. 
I was doing some searching on Pinterest a few weeks ago and stumbled across a short film representing a child's eye of chaos. 


I found myself wrecked after watching this film. I have never suffered in my life in ways these children suffer today. What can I do? Am I living as Jesus would to help those in conflict and suffering pain?
One of the songs we sung last night spoke about the new generation; 'He Is Faithful'. I found my mind drifting to four little faces who are living in confusion. My heart is longing to love; to hold ever so tight to the little body in need of attachment. It's sometimes to much to carry and the love is waiting to burst through. 
I want to give every lost child an opportunity to shine, to thrive and know they have potential. I want them to believe they too can be the next generation to share the love of Jesus to others. I want these kids to know that God is rising up an army of brothers and sisters in Christ to make a difference! Think about if every Christian were to access their situation and honestly ask themselves, "How can I do more? Am I doing enough for the Kingdom? Am I living too comfortable or could I offer more?"
What would our prisoners of war (the foster system, the kids in our orphanages) look like if more stepped out and gave opportunity to a child's life? What if more stepped up and offered advice and became mentors to those who don't have adult examples in their lives? Would it take that much to make a difference? I believe one changed life makes a difference.
Even if it's just one person you could help or extend a hand to who is in need of something grand or small. That may be the one person that becomes a life changer and changes the world after he/she was given one chance of someone believing in them. You could be the only Jesus they know. 
What is stopping you? 
I pledge to be the voice for the faces who plague my mind. I pledge to do all I can and not stop until it's safe for those to return. I want to act as God is calling me to do and not stand in His way of His will. 
I never want to know I was given the chance of potential and denied it for selfish reasons when I could have replaced it with love. 



1 comment

  1. You are an amazing woman Steph! I wish I had grown up with any or all of that knowledge, and it is so beautiful to see what you are teaching your children and those around you, by example. You are an inspiration, and you've already helped transform me -and I don't think you're done yet. I'm so sorry for the loss of potential :( Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete