My Hero's Cheer Squad

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  Hebrews 12:1


When you are forced on a seven year sprint, you must have a team of cheerleaders at every rest stop. My Hero has had cheerleaders show support in the thousands from family to friends, co-workers and kids, and far off strangers running their own race in honor of Traci. Thousands of dollars has been raised, donated, and graciously handed over to cover the extreme cost of medical treatments. It all started with a lump, surgery and the beginning of chemotherapy. Our kids have only known Auntie to be sick as Addison was only two when My Hero was diagnosed. It's normal in their eyes to see Auntie with scars and a bald head. It's normal for them to be gentle and cautious around Auntie as she's sore, sick or recovering from her special medicine. Visits to the doctors and oncologists are seen as special dates with Nana and Auntie.
Nana, our mom, has been the Head Cheerleader for all seven years. From the initial appointment and diagnoses to the first surgery and many since then, my Mom has been a saint. My Hero's church allowed Traci to recover from her first surgery at their Mission House where Mom stayed all seven weeks helping Traci adjust to the new normal. Meals were brought almost daily and we could have opened up a floral shop with the amounts of gorgeous flowers on all the shelves. The preschool walked next door on May Day to surprise Teacher Traci with flowers, cards and encouraging smiles. They left birthday notes on the sidewalk in chalk and made art work for the Mission House walls.


Three weeks post surgery, My Hero had her first chemotherapy treatment and shortly after started to loose her hair which resulted in some fun with the clippers and emotional haircuts. There were three of Traci's friends that came to shave their hair in support as well! Those friends have supplied so much joy and humor in this race which is medicine itself. My Hero's "kids" have given so much in a child-like way of support as they sported bandanas, hat days and offered grace when Teacher Traci wasn't feeling very well. This is just the start of the cheerleading squad...

"But rejoice that you participate in the suffering of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed."  1 Peter 5:7




{ boobie barf bag humor }


As believers we pray for God's will to be done. We pray for earthly healing as we long to see our loved ones healthy. And when we have a brother or sister in Christ struggle, we team up, join forces and do what we can to help out. So many in our local community, Portland area and on the East Coast have done just that to show My Hero that she's not alone. Locally, we've had silent auctions, benefit evenings in corporate worship, sports events, soup dinners, garage sales, bake sales, and sunny car washes raising well into the five-digits. Traci's past roommate organized a 5k run/walk and bake sale over on the East Coast raising funds that have saved stress and worry when sent a medical bill. Most of those who gave didn't even know who My Hero was and those who do know her have met an angel. The team behind this fighter has been phenomenal, humbling, and Jesus in action.
My mom has never missed a chemo treatment besides possibly one or two. My dad who received treatment at the same time in the beginning, has been just as supportive. Charlie has started his own track record of being at Auntie's special medicine dates too!
Some may not know the extent of My Hero's pain currently because there has been very few times she's seen without a smile on her face. I rarely hear of complaints or grumbling about the marathon she's been running. Of course there are frustrations from insurance battles to prescriptions not being ordered properly. The irritation of bone pain from sitting too long, bending down to get in the car, making the bed, sleep interruptions and doing laundry gets old and creates a mess. The strong recommendation of NOT paddling is disappointing as the team of Pinks are some of the best cheerleaders and the sport has become a passion of Traci's.
But still…she smiles.

{ Kim & Traci at the Praise and Worship Benefit Auction }

{ Grandma Van Dyken joining Pink Phoenix during paddle practice. }

{ Three baldies at dinner after completion of the 3-day breast cancer walk. }



My Hero has a purpose. God has her will in His hands. And when Doctor says forget doing scans, we're being pro-aggressive and changing things immediately, we agree and charge forward with hope. My Hero is not alone as she tries new drugs and seeks better pain management. My Hero has not lost her faith but rather grown stronger clinging to the Words in Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." 


 There is so much more fight in this sister in Christ. My Hero is only regaining strength to kick cancers a** and prove that nothing is too big, too hard, or too painful that God can't overcome. God has not left us in our anguish over this long race. Our cheerleaders have not walked away and I'm confident in knowing they will only cheer louder as the time is now to show how much this Hero means to us all.
Our kids don't know anything but, an Auntie who, in the face of fear, hardships and extreme pain, seeks more of Jesus and praises His name with every poke, treatment and pill taken. The example she leads is one I can only hope for and I'm forever grateful she's the one we cheer for everyday.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. I am making everything new!"
Revelation 21:4,5


2 comments

  1. Glad God wipes away our tears since I've got a few flowing now! I am so grateful for ALL my cheerleaders (there are too many to name) but I am so humbled by each one and the example they set for my life. I am honored and proud to call you my sister Steph for so many reasons-I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! You give me too much credit. I hope my faith continues to grow and thank God for the strength He has given me. Thank you for being my sister, my family, my friend, my supporter, my shoulder to cry on, and my fellow sister in Christ. Yup, tears are flowing...
    I wish I could write to each one of my supporters over the last 7 years. You truly have been God's hands and feet to me and I am a better, stronger person because of it.
    And just in case you were wondering, this chica is going to fight another 7yrs (or whatever it takes) to kick cancers butt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO TRACI......................You and your family are an inspiration to those that share your faith in Christ, and to those that do NOT share your faith in Christ, you are a testimony! Your fight does not go unnoticed by those that do not know Jesus, and often I am able to share Him with others, because of your fight. You are a HERO in many ways, ways that you do not even know. We are not blood family, but I sure do love you!

    ReplyDelete