He's Watching Over Me

So this past week I went crazy and ran 8 miles out in the small town county roads where the smells are potent and can melt paint off the walls. It's actually more enjoyable then it sounds but when running through God's farming country there are pleasantries that come with the territory. 
I love to run with my friend "Pandora" playing as I soak up the view of the mountains and the miles of green fields. It keeps me going as my soul fills with worship music and my heart speaks directly to God. 
It was during mile 3 that I noticed a man dressed from head to toe in cameo attire, styling long dreads and carrying a few bags walking towards me. I hate to profile people, but I'll be honest and say that I started praying for protection as this man was simply out of place in the country roads. I picked it up a few notches and kept running but as I made my turn at mile 4 I saw this man talking to another man on the side of the road with an unmarked truck. It was then that I noticed the stunning bald eagle sitting with such grace and poise in the field right next to the road. I was a mere 20 feet from this gorgeous bird. I felt a small sense of peace and it came to me how God is like that eagle. It wasn't until I past the truck that the neighbor approached me asking if I saw the border patrol man. This random lady had seen the man walking as I ran past her house and called in for a patrol officer to check it out. THANK YOU to this lady who has never met me and called in to keep me safe as I continued on my training run. 
It is a BLESSING to know that I live in a serving community that cares enough about others to make phone calls for strangers. God has blessed me with a safe neighborhood and friendly community members who serve each other, care for each other, and make an effort at making this small town BEAUTIFUL.  Just like that gorgeous eagle sitting in the field, so is God within our community. It would be a disgrace to not give God the credit for this amazing town we live in. God has placed us ever so perfectly between the oceans and the mountains. A gentle reminder of His great powers and creation. 

It was about 5 years ago that God reminded me of His promise and faithfulness by placing 7 perfect eagles on the top of telephone poles on the Hannegan starting by the Nooksack bridge and headed south. This came a week after a 7 year old girl was killed tragically in a car accident due to icy road conditions as her mom and sister were driving to school. I have no idea who she was or what made her smile, but I heard the sirens the morning of the dreadful car accident. I was heart broken and shook up by this girls death. I prayed for peace for the mother and that she knew God. And then the eagles...sitting above the scene where God grabbed a girls life and took her to Heaven to dance. 
No matter where I am, there He is also.  

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

I run for me. I run for my health. I run for my sister and when I grow weary and exhaustion takes over, I am gently reminded that my Hero has been running for 6 years with a beast trailing close behind her. I run every mile in every race for my Hero. My goal...to run in every state before the age of 50. Whether my sister can be there or not, I run for her. She keeps me going. But when she can't be there, I know that God will be watching over me, pushing me, and protecting me as I take one step in front of the other. 
I will SOAR with strength from the Master of creation and maker of my being. I run in gratitude for my serving community that I'm blessed to live in and the people that live around me. And I pray that the mother of the 7 year old has found peace in knowing her little girly is dancing with JOY and soars with wings as she runs free in Heaven. 

3 comments

  1. Steph, you are MY hero! I love you dearly and am so proud to call you my sister!!! You are making me cry...LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop crying... You're stronger than that and I can't run, pant, force breath, and go distance knowing you're turning on the water works. I'm you're biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are happy, proud, and grateful tears! I will be your biggest cheerleader as you add on the miles!

      Delete